Saturday, October 10, 2009

Roskelley- William Budge (grandma Roskelley's great-grandpa through her mom, Elma)

Improvement Era 1919
William Budge, former president of the Logan temple, and a well-known resident of Cache Valley, and prominent for many years in Church and civic work in northern Utah and southern Idaho, died at his home in Logan, March 18, 1919, of old age. He was born at Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland, May 1, 1828, thus being nearly ninety-one years of age at the time of his death. He was a son of William Budge and Mary Scott; joined the Church December 31, 1848, laboring for ten years as a local missionary, beginning February, 1851, his field of labor extending over Scotland and England. He also did missionary work in Italy, Switzerland, and Germany. He came to Utah in 1860, being captain of a company of 400, while crossing the plains. He first settled at Farmington, then in Providence, Cache county; and, in 1870, he went to Paris, Idaho, being sent by President Brigham Young, and was made presiding bishop of the Bear Lake settlements. Later in 1877, he was chosen first president of the Bear Lake stake. He was appointed president of the European mission, in 1878, and did missionary work abroad until 1880; returning home he was elected Bear Lake county's first member in the Council of the Idaho legislature, and later served in the Idaho State Senate. In 1906, he was called to Cache county to preside over the Logan temple and remained in that service until about a year ago, when, because of his advanced years, he was succeeded by President Joseph R. Sheppard. He held many positions of honor, both in the Church and in the state. He was a father of 34 children, twenty-five of whom are living, and the family are among the most prominent residents of Utah and southern Idaho, including Churchmen, physicians, lawyers and other professional men. He and President Charles W. Penrose married sisters, and have been life-long friends. In President William Budge, the Church and State had a man of genuine stability and stalwart character.
==========================================================
MANY are the stories of Davis County winds that have come down from pioneer days. William Budge was struggling homeward to Farmington afoot from Salt Lake City through drifts and the darkness of night during one of those screaming wintry blizzards. He found the east windows of his cabin blown in and the one room fast filling with snow. His family were gone. Frantically he called and searched, and then presently found them in a little lean-to at the back of his shanty. His wife had carried her babies and some quilts into the little back room and made a bed on the floor, and there they were, asleep under a foot of sifted snow! But happily they were safe.
=============================================================
Six miles by team brought us to Florence (Winter Quarters) where we remained until the company was ready to cross the plains. William Budge was our captain. On our way across the plains we were followed for several days by two hundred Indians in all their finery and war paint, who were going to make war with another tribe. We had to be very circumspect in our dealings with them. They were always trying to trade ponies for some of the girls. Finally everybody had to contribute and make up a big present for them of flour, bacon, sugar, and everything else they fancied, and then they rode off and left us. We were three months on the plains and suffered the usual discomforts of wading streams, tramping over sandhills, getting torn to pieces by prickly pears and tormented by mosquitoes. The latter were so bad at one time that no one in camp could sleep for three nights.

Among the early converts from Scotland were Charles W. Nibley, later Presiding Bishop and counsellor in the First Presidency; and William Budge, a stake president, Mission President, Logan Temple President and missionary for over nine years, who taught and baptized more than two hundred persons, including Dr. Karl G. Maeser, founder of BYU.

On the 12th of May twelve high counselors were selected for the Salt Lake Stake of Zion, and about that time William Hyde, William Budge, Elias Smith, and fifty others were selected to receive ordination to the office of patriarch.

An Instance of Divine Interposition.
(An Instance of Divine Interposition.)
Fragments of Experience, p.55
BY ELDER WILLIAM BUDGE.
Fragments of Experience, p.55
VISIT TO SCOTLAND-MEET OLD FRIENDS-RETURN TO LIVERPOOL-ABOUT TO GO BY STEAMER TO BRISTOL-A VOICE WARNS ME NOT TO GO-TURN BACK-SHORT OF MONEY-MEANS PROVIDENTIALLY PROVIDED-JOURNEY TO PORTSMOUTH-SEQUEL TO THE WARNING-THE STEAMER WRECKED.
Fragments of Experience, p.55
I HAD been laboring in the Southampton Conference, England, as a missionary for about two years, when I obtained permission to visit my relatives in Scotland. It was in the latter part of the summer of 1853.
Fragments of Experience, p.55
Accompanied by an Elder named Armstrong, who was going to Liverpool, I embarked at Portsmouth, on the steamship Duke of Cornwall, bound for that port, on the morning of the 8th of August.
Fragments of Experience, p.55
Shortly after starting, we passed the British fleet, lying off Spithead, preparing for a grand review, to take place on the following Thursday, which Queen Victoria was expected to attend. The scene was both novel and intesesting, as we passed near the assembled and decorated ships.
Fragments of Experience, p.55
Passing the Isle of Wight, of which we had a good view, we called at Plymouth, Falmouth, and Penzance, before reaching Liverpool, passing also the celebrated Eddystone Lighthouse.
Fragments of Experience, p.55 - 56
We reached Liverpool at two p. m., on the 10th, and I sailed for Glasgow within two hours afterwards. On board the Scotch steamer, I was pleased to find an old acquaintance, named George Turnbull, who was at that time a clerk in the Church office at Liverpool, and on his way, like myself, to visit his home and friends.
Fragments of Experience, p.56
Brother Turnbull and I heard the gospel about the same time, in the same city, (Glasgow) and became members of the same branch of the Church; he being baptized first. This young man was a scholar, and possessed of much uatural ability, and for some time, was a good Saint, but he would not run the race; he eventually fell into transgression, denied the faith, and was lost.
Fragments of Experience, p.56
There were also on board the vessel, Elder Fullmer, pastor of the Liverpool Conference, and wife, and Elder John O. Angus, President of the Shropshire Conference. I was well acquainted with the latter; he was a faithful missionary, and a quiet, humble, and inoffensive man. He labored for a long time in the St. George Temple, and died some time ago.
Fragments of Experience, p.56
Such company was very agreeable, but the night was somewhat stormy, and we did not reach Glasgow until two p. m. next day.
Fragments of Experience, p.56
During this trip, I visited my relatives in Glasgow, Lanark, and elsewhere, and also the Saints in a district of the conference where I had formerly labored. I felt truly grateful to the Lord for all His goodness unto me, in preserving me while struggling hard in several new fields of labor to which I had been allotted, since I first left home and beg an my labors as a missionary.
Fragments of Experience, p.56
On the first day of September, taking leave of my friends, I embarked on a steam vessel for Liverpool. Elder John O. Angus was also a passenger, and I, therefore, had good company during a very stormy passage. Arriving at Liverpool, we called at the Church office, Wilton Street, and lodged at the house of Elder A. F. Macdonald, president of the conference.
Fragments of Experience, p.56 - 57
I intended to go by sea from Liverpool to Bristol, and by land to Salisbury, on my way back to Portsmouth, as I had not means enough to go through by railroad conveyance. I had explained this to Brother Angus, and on the morning after our arrival in Liverpool, I bade him good by, and walked down to the docks, carying my carpet sack and a number of books, which I had brought with me from home. This was on the third day of September, 1853.
Fragments of Experience, p.57
A number of people were waiting to go on board the same steam vessel I intended to take. The steamer at the time was taking in freight at the opposite side of the dock, and would call for us, so we were informed, in a short time.
Fragments of Experience, p.57
While standing looking at the vessel, a voice, loud and distinct, said: "Do not go on board." I was startled, and looked around, but there was no one near. Although I turned hastily, I did not really expect to see any one who might have spoken. It was, I felt, a revelation; I was impressed with the divine force, and I lifted my satchel preparatory to leaving, but suddenly I thought of my want of means, and began to wonder whether I had not been deceived by my imagination. I put down my satchel again, just as the ship was nearing that part of the dock where the passengers were waiting. My condition tempted me. I was in doubt for a moment. I began to reason; but faith triumphed. I felt sure that it was a warning, and, lifting my baggage, left the dock for the Lime Street Station, as the people who had been waiting passed into the steamer.
Fragments of Experience, p.57
Once decided, there was no further trouble, and I began to consider how I could reach Portsmouth. When I entered the station, I had concluded to take the first third-class train to Birmingham. At that time, I had no acquaintances there, and wished to hurry on, trusting that the way would be opened up as my necessities required; such having been the case many times before. The Lord had prepared the way in times past, and I had faith that He would help me then sufficiently.
Fragments of Experience, p.57
I was one of those young and very inexperienced Elders, sent into the missionary field literally without purse or scrip. Elder George B. Wallace, at that time one of the presidency of the Church in Europe, sent me with several others into Cumberland County, in the North of England, where there were no Saints until we were instrumental in the hands of the Lord in bringing some to a knowledge of the truth.
Fragments of Experience, p.57 - 59
It was a hard country, and we had a rough experience. In less than three months, three Elders out of five returned home; but Elder Thomas Wallace, now of Weber County, and I remained until the Lord called us somewhere else.

I have been in many new fields of labor since, without money and without friends until the Lord raised them up, but never among a people so ignorant, and unimpressionable as the people we could obtain access to in the North of England. In comparison, my prospects, as I walked into the Lime Street Station, were not at all discouraging, but as I entered, there stood Brother Angus, who was waiting for a train to take him to Shrewsbury.

He was surprised to see me, and I was a little abashed, as I felt somewhat delicate about giving him an explanation. Although satisfied myself, I had some misgivings about satisfying him. I told him, however, what had happened, and, to my relief, he said, putting his hand on my shoulder, "You have done just right, and you will see the hand of God in this."

A third-class train, I learned, would not leave until next morning, so I lodged with Brother Turnbull, who had returned to Liverpool.

The next day I went to Birmingham, and there learned that a cheap excursion train would leave for Bristol at five p. m. Bristol-going by land-was not directly on my way, but the fare being low, and going from there to Warminster and Salisbury, I was likely to reach Portsmouth sooner than any other way.

In the cars, I made the acquaintance of a lady and gentleman also going to Bristol, to visit some relatives they had in that town. After an interesting conversation they invited me to take lunch with them, which was very acceptable, and on our arrival at Bristol, they pressed me to accompany them to their friend's house, where I remained all night, being warmly received and well treated.

I had not quite a dollar in my possession, and I acknowledge the hand of the Lord in thus opening up the way for me.
On reaching Warminster next day at six p. m., I had only twelve cents left, and a heavy carpet sack, which I took to a carrier who made occasional trips with freight to Salisbury, and I started at once to walk to the latter place, distant twenty-two miles.

It was evening and the weather pleasant, and the distance nothing unusual for a missionary, but I made a mistake by starting out too fast, perspired, got tired, and was obliged to take lodging at a small way-side inn, which cost me eight cents. I slept without supper and resumed my journey without breakfast the next morning, but thanking the Lord for good health and spirits.

On reaching Salisbury, where I was a perfect stranger, I walked into the town with the intention of inquiring for Latter-day Saints, a few of whom I understood lived there. My first inquiry was of a little boy, who quickly answered "Yes, my mother is one," and at once offered to conduct me to his home, which we soon reached, and to which I was warmly welcomed.

On passing through the streets, I saw, posted upon the walls, announcements of an excursion trip to Southampton and Portsmouth, fare two shillings and six pence, or sixty-two cents in our money. Reflecting upon the means of obtaining such a sum without being obliged to write and wait for it, we reached the house of my guide's mother.

From the boy's statement that his mother was a "Mormon," I got the impression that his father, if he had one, was not, which I found to be correct. His father was not very friendly, but his mother was a very earnest Saint, and a very thoughtful and kind one, as while I sat taking some refreshments which she had hastily prepared, she brought and gave me a piece of money, the exact amount necessary to procure my ticket to Portsmouth. I again thanked the Lord, and explained to my kind sister what her gift would enable me to do. The boy had in the meantime, by her instructions, brought my carpet sack, and I was ready to continue my journey.

I reached Portsmouth on the 7th day of September, and while there on the 9th, I read in the newspaper of the total wreck of the steam vessel, on which I was about to sail from Liverpool, when I was warned by the Lord not to go on board the ship.
=================================================================
William Budge Julia Budge, first wife of Bishop William Budge, may be presented as one of the women who have made polygamy honorable. She was born in Essex, England, where she was baptized by Chas. W. Penrose, one of the most distinguished of the English elders, who afterwards married her sister-a lady of the same excellent disposition. The bishop is today the husband of three wives, whose children have grown up as one family, and the wives have lived together "like sisters." No stranger, with preconceived notions, would guess that they sustained the very tender relation of sister-wives. Their happy polygamic example is a sort of "household word" in the various settlements over which the bishop has presided.
William Budge was a convert to the Church in Scotland, local missionary in the British Mission and on the continent for nine years, pioneer of Utah, and president of Bear Lake Stake for twenty-nine years.
William Budge was born in Lanark, Scotland, on May 1, 1828, the son of William and Mary Scott Budge. The boy acquired an elementary education in the common schools of Scotland. His father moved from town to town as he was required to do in his business as a salesman. In 1844, while living in Glasgow, young William Budge, sixteen years of age, overheard a man on the street as he read an account in a newspaper of the death of the Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith.
This was the first time that William ever heard the word Mormon. Four years later he was invited by a friend to attend a religious service of the Church held in Glasgow. He went out of curiosity, but the doctrines he heard greatly impressed him. He continued to attend and on the last day of the year, 1848, was baptized in the River Clyde by Elder John McMillan.
In 1851, when William was twenty-three years of age, he was ordained an elder and called to labor in the British Mission "without purse or scrip." This was a rather severe experience for him, and he frequently went without food, but his Scotch thrift and grit stood him well in hand, and he did not falter.
For three years he traveled and preached throughout England, and then, in August, 1854, he was transferred to the Swiss and Italian Mission with headquarters at Geneva. Here he labored seven months, and succeeded in acquiring a considerable knowledge of the language, when he was imprisoned and expelled for preaching the Mormon doctrines. He returned to England, but a few weeks later was sent to Dresden, Germany, to answer an inquiry made by an investigator named Karl G. Maeser.
This circumstance is related in the Karl G. Maeser article on page 80. Karl G. Maeser later paid this compliment to Elder Budge: "It was providential that such a man was the first Mormon I ever beheld, for, although scarcely able to make himself understood in German, he, by his winning and yet dignified personality, created an impression upon me and my family which was the keynote to an indispensable influence which hallowed the principles he advocated."
After the conversion and baptism of Professor Maeser, Elder Budge returned to England, where in July, 1856, he was appointed president of the London Conference. While laboring in this capacity he obtained the permission of the mission president, Orson Pratt, to marry Miss Julia Stratford. She was his faithful companion for fifty-six years.
William Budge was released from his missionary labors in the spring of 1860, and at once made preparations to sail for America. With his wife and a group of Saints he boarded a sailing vessel at Liverpool on May 10, and six weeks later arrived in New York City.
He then traveled by train to Omaha, and from there by ox team to Salt Lake Valley, arriving on October 5.
The problem before Elder Budge now was to make a living in Utah. He promptly moved to Farmington and obtained possession of eight acres of land and a log house. He went to work, and in a short time, obtained the necessities of life.
In 1864 President Brigham Young visited Farmington. He requested William Budge to move to Cache Valley and act as bishop of Providence. William complied with this request, sold his holdings and promptly moved to Cache Valley. At Providence he found about forty families. He labored with them and during the time he was bishop many improvements were made, including a rock meetinghouse, which still stands.
In addition to his duties as bishop, while residing in Providence, he took an active interest in public affairs. In November, 1864, he received his citizenship papers, and a few months later was appointed postmaster of the village.
At a conference held in Logan in June, 1870, President Brigham Young called Bishop William Budge to the stand and asked him if he would be willing to move to Bear Lake Valley and take charge of the collection of tithing in the settlements of the Saints in that vicinity. Elder Budge replied that he would accept the call. President Young then requested him to move to the new location as soon as he could conveniently arrange his affairs. In a few days Bishop Budge received a letter informing him of his duties and stating that his title would be "Presiding Bishop of Rich County."
In July the bishop moved to Bear Lake and established a home at Paris. He found on arrival that his district was much more extensive than he had anticipated. It covered the growing settlements of the Saints from Soda Springs to Evanston and north to the border of Star Valley. It took several weeks to visit the various branches and wards, traveling with a horse and buggy.
After laboring seven years as "Presiding Bishop," during which time he did excellent service for the Church, Bishop Budge was called to be the president of the Bear Lake Stake. This was in August, 1877, the year and month in which President Brigham Young died.
The northern settlements were growing; with the opening of Star Valley there were thirty-two wards and branches in Bear Lake Stake.
After he had labored less than one year as president of Bear Lake Stake, President Budge was no doubt surprised to receive a letter in May, 1878, calling him to be the president of the European Mission with headquarters at Liverpool, England. He responded readily to this call. He was a natural missionary and was fond of missionary work. He was not released as president of Bear Lake Stake; he left that work in the hands of his counselors and proceeded to Liverpool.
After laboring diligently for two and a half years, during which time he visited the branches of the Church in the British Isles and on the continent, President Budge was released to return home. Among the elders who had labored with him in the Liverpool office were Charles W. Nibley, Frank Cope, Henry H. Rolapp, and James H. Wallis.
William Budge was elected to the Idaho Legislature while still in England, and it was therefore necessary for him to proceed at once to Boise. From his home in Paris he went by stage to Evanston, thence by train to Kelton, Box Elder County, and then by stage across southern Idaho to the capital city. It was a long, hard journey.
After his service in the Legislature, President Budge returned to his work in the Bear Lake Stake. However, during the summer of 1881 he performed another public service; he assisted the Union Pacific Railroad in acquiring a right of way from Evanston through Bear Lake Valley.
In 1884, under the direction of President Budge, the building of a stake tabernacle was begun at Paris. It took five years of diligent and unselfish labor to complete the building, but it still stands, an honor and credit to the pioneer people by whom it was constructed.
Gradually President Budge became one of the prominent men of Idaho. In October, 1888, and again in January, 1890, he journeyed to Washington, D. C., to interview officials of the government and secure their aid in behalf of the Mormon people in the Territory, who were subject to unjust laws and regulations. Again in 1904 he testified before the Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections in the Reed Smoot hearing, whose seat in the Senate was contested because of his being an official of the Church.

After residing in Paris thirty-six years, President Budge was appointed in 1906, at the age of 78, to be the president of the Logan Temple. He found this work to be very pleasant, and in Logan he was surrounded by a number of his children who had established themselves in the temple city, which added to his happiness.

President William Budge died at Logan on March 18, 1919, at the age of 90, honored, respected and loved by all who knew him.
Stalwarts of Mormonism
===============================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment